Baked Cavatelli- A New Family Favorite!
This dish is delicious and plentiful! My hubby called it spaghetti pizza- because of the toppings used! Easily bored with dinner?, Pasta is a easy to change up dish! It would be great for a pot-luck or gathering too! It was about 10-15 minutes of prep and 30 minutes of baking time.
Note:I found this base recipe on my local grocer's website! www.HyVee.com but have found I can easily modify it!
- 1 (13.25 oz. box of rotini pasta) note: I used regular rotini pasta and you can change it up with whole wheat, if preferred.
- 1 (24 oz. jar of pasta sauce) note: I ALWAYS use Paul Newman’s brand with mushroom. However ANY sauce of choice will work)
- 1 (8 oz.) bag of finely shredded mozzarella
- 1 green bell pepper- seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow onion- chopped
- 1/4 cup pepporoni- chopped
I sprinkle with grated parmesan and add in 1/4 tsp oregano, Salt and pepper.
In place of pepperoni- switch it up with browned/drained ground beef or Italian sausage.
Next time, I might even add sautéd zucchini in place of a meat!
Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and add to greased 13×9 casserole dish. Sauté onion and green pepper til softened (approx. 5 minutes). Add 1/2 jar of pasta sauce, 1/2 bag of mozzarella, mix in onion, pepper and choice of meat. Cover pasta with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake uncovered 30 minutes.
I served with salad and french loaf bread. WA-LAH! It made enough for two dinners for my family of four!